West Bengal Rupashree Scheme – 1.5 Lakh Marriage Assistance for Girls
The State Government of West Bengal has introduced the West Bengal Rupashree Scheme for the empowerment of the adolescent girls of the state. Under this scheme, the state government will provide Rs. 1.5 lakh to the eligible and needy girls of the state. This assistance will be given as one-time assistance at the time of their marriage after attaining the age of 18 years. The state government will provide the benefits of this scheme to about 6 lakh girls of the state.
West Bengal Rupashree Scheme
Latest Update – The West Bengal Government has also launched “Manabik” for providing a monthly pension of Rs. 1000 to the Persons with Disability (PWDs). For this scheme, the state government has sanctioned Rs. 250 crore.
Objectives of West Bengal Rupashree Scheme
- For ensuring that girls stay in schools and avoid marriages at least until the age of 18 years.
- The state government will incentivize the girls for complete secondary or senior secondary education or equivalent in technical streams.
- Besides this, the state government will provide this assistance to fair better in economic and social spheres.
- Also, in order to reduce the risks of early pregnancies, child & maternal mortality rate and health conditions.
Conditional Cash Transfers Under Rupashree Scheme
- Annual Incentive – Under this scheme, the state government provides an annual incentive of Rs. 1000/- (previously Rs. 750) to the girls having age from 13 to 18 years who are studying in various schools. Although the condition is that the girl should be unmarried at that particular time.
- One Time Grant – Besides this, the West Bengal government will provide one time grant of Rs. 1.5 lakh (previously Rs. 25000/-) at the time of their marriage.