What is a Passport?
Passport is an important document required during the journey towards abroad with different aims such as meeting their family members, education, pilgrimage, tourism, trade, medicine etc.
In the last few years, the demand for passport and related services has increased due to the rising economy and the spread of globalization. In order to fulfill this growing demand of services, the Ministry of External Affairs introduced the passport service project in May 2010.
Passport Seva Portal
With the help of Passport Seva Portal, the process of delivery of passport and related services has become easier and simpler and transparency in it. Under this project, the Indian post has been linked together under a network for the delivery of State Police and Passport for the verification of the details of government officials, applicants related to passports so that a coordination between them is issued for issuing passports across the country.
Read More: हिंदी में पढ़ें
Applying Procedure for Passport through e-Forms Presentation
- You will have to register yourself on the passport service portal to apply for the formation of a new passport or passport through e-form presentation.
- After registration you will have to log on to the passport service portal.
- Download the e-form to re-create a passport or new passport.
- Fill the downloaded e-Form and click Validate and Save button. After this an XML file will be created which will be uploaded later.
- Upload XML file via Uploaded e-Form. Do not upload the PDF file here because only the XML file will be taken here.
- After uploading the form, click on the “Drink and Schedule Appointment” link and schedule your appointment in the passport service center.
- Find the location of the passport service center and select your passport service center.
- After setting your time in the selected passport service center, you can make online payments through credit / debit card (MasterCard and Visa), Internet Banking (just State Bank of India and Associate Bank) or SBI Bank invoice.
- You can calculate the charges for passport services through the online fee calculator.
- After this you can print the receipt of your application, in which application reference number or appointment number is given.
- After this, you can go to the Passport Service Center on your original documents such as Birth proof, Photo ID, proof of residence and proof of nationality, where you have made your appointment.
Tatkal Passport Seva/Instant Passport Service is a scheme which is available for those passport applicants who have the urgent need of passport. Under this scheme, the last right to issue a passport is of the passport office.
If there is no need to check by the police, the passport application is issued within one working day after the date of submission of application under the Tatkal Passport Seva/Instant Passport Service Scheme and if the police needs to be checked, the passport application is issued within three working days after the date of submission. It is issued without waiting for the report of the investigation done by the passport police.
Under this Tatkal Passport Seva/Instant Passport Service Scheme, citizens can apply for new passports or re-form passports through different medium such as e-paper presentation or online form presentation.
Under this plan, you can calculate the fees for passport services through online fee calculator.
Read More: Apply for Passport through Main Post Offices
The Ministry of External Affairs has launched a Mobile Application called M-Passport Service, with the help of which the smartphone users can get all the information related to the passport on their mobile.
M-Passport Service is mainly designed for those who just want to get information related to passports only. It is very easy to use this application. You can get the location of the passport service centers, fees, application status, contact details and other general information with the help of this app.
Passport Services in Rural Areas
Ministry of External Affairs has introduced passport related services in collaboration with General Services Center – E-Governance Service India Limited, with the help of a large network of over one lakh common service centers in rural areas.
First of all, this service was started in selected 15 general service centers in Uttar Pradesh and Jharkhand in pilot mode. By the end of March 2014, it is set to begin in every part of the country.
Ministry of External Affairs || Passport Seva/Service Portal || FAQs || Download e-Form || Information of Annexures/Affidavits Required || Passport Offices in India || Locate District Passport Cell || Locate Passport Seva Kendra and Laghu Kendra || National Call Centre/IVRS || Download M-Passport Service App || Website of Common Services Centres Scheme