Govt. UJALA Scheme – Sikkim (Ujala Yojana An Energy Efficient Scheme)
The UJALA scheme is an Energy Efficient Scheme which was launched by the Prime Minister of India on January 5th, 2015 with a target of replacing 77 crore inefficient bulbs with Energy Efficient LED Bulbs. At present, over 20.83 crore LED bulbs, over 4.47 lakh LED tube lights and over 2.88 lakh energy efficient fans have been distributed and 16.53 lakh LED street lights have already been replaced in the country.
On 14 February 2017, Sikkim Minister for Energy & Power and Labour, Dorjee Dazom Bhutia launched government’s Unnat Jeevan for providing affordable LEDs and Appliances under UJALA Scheme in the state.
According to the scheme, the government will provide 14.5 lakh 9 W LED bulbs and 8.7 lakh 20 W LED tube lights, about 1.45 lakh consumers will be benefited from the scheme. At present, the UJALA Scheme is being implemented by Energy Efficiency Services Limited (EESL), a JV under the administration of Ministry of Power, Government of India.
Under the scheme, the people will be able to purchase the high quality 9 W LED bulbs at the affordable price (as compared to the market price) of Rs 70 and LED tube lights at Rs 230 each on an upfront basis. Besides, the consumers can buy only 10 LED bulbs and 6 LED tube lights per household.
The Minister for Energy & Power and Labour, Mr. Bhutia said” Sikkim government has always tried to make a clean and green environment and it has encouraged the government for UJALA Scheme because this is a successful energy efficiency scheme in the country. After availing the benefits of the scheme, the consumers will fill that how this energy saver LED lights will reduce their electricity bills”.
He also said this scheme will also help the government to manage peak demand as well. We are very happy by adopting the UJALA Scheme and this scheme will bring climate changes in the environment. We will encourage the people to adopt this scheme to make a new energy efficient nation.
How Can You Buy UJALA Domestic Appliances:-
- These UJALA domestic appliances can be purchased from the distribution centres listed on www.ujala.gov.in.
- Free of cost replacement for all technical faults for 3 years for LED bulbs and LED tube lights by EESL.
- Replacements can be done through any of the distribution counters at the time of distribution.
UJALA Scheme Benefits:
- After adopting UJALA Scheme more than 7.04 crore kWh will be saved and resulting in avoidance of over 5,416 MW of peak demand.
- Per day Rs 29.7 crore, cost reduction in bills of consumers and 60,173 t of CO2 reduction per day.