Delhi Safai Karamcharis Loan Scheme for Sewer Cleaning Machines
Delhi Safai Karamcharis Loan Scheme – The Delhi Government has started a new loan scheme for the Scavengers (सफाई कर्मचरी). Under this scheme, the Delhi Government will provide sewer cleaning machines to the manual scavengers (सफाई कर्मचरी) at 10% rates. Any government employee can get this machine at only 10% of the total machine cost and earn from Rs 40,000 to Rs 50,000 per month.
Delhi Safai Karamcharis Loan Scheme – Objectives
- The main motive of the government behind launching this loan scheme is to eliminate the risk of death of manual scavengers
- To increase their standard of living
- To take them to a respected life.
- This loan facility will also create a clean and safe environment for people living in National Capital – Delhi.
Under this scheme, the state government will hire 220 machines in the first phase. 4 persons are required to operate a machine. Thus, it will result in additional job opportunities.
Features of Delhi Safai Karamcharis Loan Scheme for Sewer Cleaning Machines
- All workers who are engaged in manual voluntary activities or who clean the sewer can now borrow from the state government to buy sewer cleaning machines. Here are the important features of the loan facility scheme –
- This decision has been taken after recent incidents where at least 12 people have been died during cleaning sewer or septic tank in Delhi from August 2016. Therefore, manual scavenging will end with this initiative and thus the deaths during sewerage cleaning will be reduced.
- Delhi Jal Board will purchase 220 special machines which an employee can take the contract for 7 years. The State Government will act as a facilitator. This Delhi Government loan scheme will rehabilitate safe employees or manual scavengers.
Delhi Safai Karamcharis Loan Scheme – Sewer Cleaning Machines Price
One question still arises how workers will be able to purchase their machines which are up to Rs. 38 lakhs. SBI will pay 75% of the total machine cost and will provide 11% per year. Scheduled Caste / Scheduled Tribe corporation will provide 15% of the total cost at 10% per annum. The remaining cost is to be born by the person. The government will provide loans for the purchase of specially designed sewer cleaning machines and convert them into entrepreneurs.
Delhi Safai Karamcharis Loan Scheme – Safai Karamcharis Earning
All employees who take these machines on contract can earn between 40,000 and 50,000 per month.