Center to Construct 1 Crore Houses under Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana – Gramin
1 crore houses under Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana – Gramin by 2019 to be built by the Center
The Government has approved the construction of 1 crore houses with the financial implication of Rs. 81,975 crore for the period 2016-17 to 2018-19 under the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojan- Gramin (PMAY-G).
After accounting for the houses that were constructed under Indira Aawas Yojana, IAY and State-sponsored housing schemes since 2011, it has been estimated that 2.95 crores more houses, with an anticipated variation of ± 10%, would need to be constructed to achieve the objective of ‘Housing For All’ by the year 2022.
Read More: Apply for PM Awas Yojana
Targets set up and Achieved
In the first phase (from 2016-17 to 2018-19) one crore houses are targeted for construction under Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana-Grameen, PMAY-G. Targets for the remaining period (till 2022) will be decided after verification and finalization of permanent wait lists, based on SECC 2011 data by all States/UTs. Yadav said that to provide technical support in achieving the targets of “Housing for All” a National Technical Support Agency (NTSA) for Rural Housing shall be set up at the national level.
Various features have been incorporated into the scheme architecture of PMAY-G, some of which are as below
- Availability of sufficient financial resources both in the form of budgetary support and borrowing from NABARD to meet the expenditure for construction of houses.
- Electronic transfer of assistance under Direct Benefit Transfer (DBT) to resolve problems of delayed payments and expedite completion.
- (iii) Comprehensive online monitoring through the scheme MIS-AwaasSoft.
- (iv) Inspection and Geo-tagging of houses, through the mobile app- AwaasApp by beneficiaries to reduce delays.
- Increasing number of trained rural masons through Training, Assessment, and Certification.
- Setting up of Programme Management Unit (PMUs) at the state and sub-state level to review progress on a daily basis, provide requisite technical support and facilitation and plug gaps in an implementation using administrative funds available under the scheme.