Bihar Babu Jagjivan Ram Chhatrawas Yojana – Complete Details

Bihar Babu Jagjivan Ram Chhatrawas Yojana

Babu Jagjivan Ram Chhatrawas Yojana – The state government of Bihar led by the Hon’ble Chief Minister Mr. Nitish Kumar has launched the Babu Jagjeevan Ram Chhatrawas Yojana for providing hostel facilities to the scheduled caste boys and girls studying in secondary schools, high schools, colleges and universities.

Details of Babu Jagjivan Ram Chhatrawas Yojana

The hostels are run by the Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes Welfare Department for students of Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes. The students, who live in these hostels, are provided logistics, cooks and co-workers’ services, lights, utensils etc. on government expenditure. There is also a hostel superintendent in every hostel, which is given by the government as honorarium, superintendent allowance and who is responsible for the management of the hostel.

Benefits & Features of Babu Jagjivan Ram Chhatrawas Yojana

  • State Governments / Union Territory Administration and Central and State Universities / Institutions are eligible for Central Assistance for the construction of new hostel buildings and extension of existing hostel facilities, whereas non-governmental organizations and private universities of the private sector are only eligible for their existing hostel facilities There are eligible for such assistance to expand.
  • Provide 100: Central assistance to States / Union Territories through package grant of 25000 per student per year. Special allowances such as: –
  • Reader allowance
  • Traffic allowance
  • The assistant allowance is provided to disabled students.

Objectives of Babu Jagjivan Ram Chhatrawas Yojana

The aim of this scheme is to upgrade the eligibility of scheduled caste students by providing facilities for holistic development through education in residential schools.

  • By removing their educational shortcomings
  • By facilitating their entry into business courses by upgrading their abilities
  • they are proposed to be self-confident and self-reliant. Scheduled Castes students studying classes IX to Class X are eligible under this scheme.

Objectives of the Revised Babu Jagjivan Ram Chhatrawas Yojana

The primary objective of the revised scheme is to attract the implementing agencies for undertaking hostel construction programme, especially for SC Girls towards the broader vision of containment and reduction of their drop out rate.

The other objectives are

  • having a girls hostel with a capacity of 100 seats, in every block headquarters/of low literacy Districts not having one now, by way of priority,
  • reduction in gestation of construction period and
  • having an effective mechanism for monitoring, review, quality control etc.

Budget for Babu Jagjivan Ram Chhatrawas Yojana

Under the centrally sponsored scheme of 2015-16, under the Babu Jagjivan Ram Chhatrawas Yojana, a proposal of Rs.20-260 lakhs and Rs.25 lakh lakhs amounting to Rs.25 lakh lakhs in the States and Centers for Scheduled Castes children respectively is proposed to be sanctioned.

Babu Jagjivan Ram Chhatrawas Yojana, a budget provision of Rs. 04-400 lakhs and Rs. 4 lakh lakhs in the States and Centers of the Scheduled Castes for the Scheduled Castes children respectively is proposed.

Implementing Agencies and Eligibility Criteria for Babu Jagjivan Ram Chhatrawas Yojana

  • The Scheme will be implemented through the State Governments/Union Territory Administrations and the Central & State Universities/institutions and they will be provided eligible central assistance as per provision of the scheme, both for fresh construction of hostel buildings and for expansion of the existing hostel facilities.
  • The Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs) and deemed Universities in the private sector having good track record will be eligible for the central assistance under the Scheme only for expansion of their existing hostel facilities.
Also Read :  Uttar Pradesh Mukhyamantri Krishak Datta Yantra Yojana - वृक्ष लगाने पर मिलेंगे पैसे

Location & Scope of Hostels Under Babu Jagjivan Ram Chhatrawas Yojana

  • While sanctioning hostels priority should be given to areas having the concentration of SC population of 20% and more and without adequate hostel 3 facilities for SC students. Preference will be given to integrated hostels (which are part of established educational institutions) over stand-alone hostels.
  • In case of girls, the hostels will be located in areas having low SC female literacy. The girls’ hostels will be constructed in close vicinity (as far as possible within a radius of 200 meters) of the educational institution.
  • Focus will be given for construction of hostels for middle and higher secondary levels of education. However, hostels can also be constructed for college and University levels of education.
  • The construction of boundary walls, two rooms set for hostel warden and one room set for Chowkidar would be an integral part of the hostel scheme.
  • The expenditure on maintenance of the hostels will be borne by the implementing agencies concerned from their own funds.

Strength of Hostels

  • The capacity per hostel should not exceed 100 students.

Funding Pattern Under Babu Jagjivan Ram Chhatrawas Yojana

Hostels for SC Girls  

  • 100% central assistance would be provided to the State Governments/UT Administrations and the Central & State Universities/institutions;
  • 90% central assistance would be provided to NGOs and deemed Universities in the private sector, only for expansion of the existing hostel facilities.

Hostels for SC Boys

  • 50% central assistance to State Governments on matching share basis and 100%
    to UT Administrations;
  • 90% central assistance to Central Universities/institutions (remaining 10% cost to be borne by the University/institution concerned), while for State Universities/institutions, the central assistance would be 45%, the remaining 55% cost  to be borne by the University/institution and the State Government/UT Administration concerned in the ratio of 10:45);
  • 45% central assistance to Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs) and deemed Universities in the private sector, only for expansion of their existing hostels (the remaining 55% cost to be borne by the agency concerned and the State Government/UT Administration in the ratio of 10:45);
  • In case the State Government/UT Administration concerned do not contribute their expected share of 45% to the NGOs/Universities as prescribed above, the share of the former will also have to be borne by the NGOs/Universities concerned, thereby raising their contribution to 55%.

Read More: List of Bihar GovernmentSchemes 2017

General Provisions and Highlights of Babu Jagjivan Ram Chhatrawas Yojana

  • No fee or charges of any kind will be collected from the SC students for provision of the hostel facilities including water, electricity and maintenance charges etc.;
  • The central assistance will be limited only towards sharing of cost of construction of the Hostels for SC Girls and Boys as indicated in the Scheme.
  • An additional one-time grant of Rs.2500 per student would also be provided for making provisions of a cot, a table and a chair for each student.
  • The implementing agency(s) should have clear ownership and occupancy status over the land where the hostels are to be constructed.
  • Separate applications should be submitted in respect of SC Girls and Boys, as the case may be, in the prescribed formats(Annexure-I to III). Wherever applicable, the application shall be supported by details of physical and financial progress in respect of hostels sanctioned earlier by the Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment;
  • A proposal for hostel construction shall necessarily be accompanied by a detailed statement of the names etc. of the students belonging to the target 6 groups in the existing roll and a copy of the stated policy and commitment of the institution regarding its action plan for implementation of the reservation norms. These details will be subject to scrutiny by the Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment.
  • The proposal for expansion of existing hostels shall be submitted by the NGOs/deemed universities in the private sector to the respective State Government/UT Administration who, in turn, would forward the same along with their recommendations to the Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment, New Delhi for release of the grants-in-aid as per provisions of the Scheme;
  • The hostels shall be completed within a period of two years from the date of sanction of the project by the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment. While submitting proposals for release of central assistance, the implementing agencies shall give a time frame about the completion of construction of hostels which shall, in any case, be less than the maximum prescribed period;
  • The implementing agencies shall closely supervise the construction of hostels regularly and shall submit quarterly progress reports, both physical and financial, to the Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment, New Delhi, till the completion of the hostels.
  • A few rooms/blocks of the hostels should be constructed barrier free and facilities like ramps etc. should be incorporated in the design of the construction for the convenience of the SC students with disabilities;
  • It shall be mandatory for the institutions concerned to provide proportional representation to the SC students in their regular hostels and the additional seats created under this Scheme, together with the normal quota, as delineated, will be distributed evenly amongst all the hostels including the hostels constructed under this Scheme. The intention of the present Scheme is not to segmentize the students on caste lines, but to have an integrated and inclusive student community system, with a positive leaning towards the Scheduled Castes.
  • Priority in allotment of hostel accommodation would be given to SC students whose parents are either “Safai Karamcharis” or engaged in unclean occupations.
  • Standard design with costing norms should be developed as a benchmark for approving the hostel projects by each State/UT for central assistance under the scheme.
  • The execution of construction work of hostels may be carried out by the State/UT Department concerned or through their agencies
  • The Ministry may, in its discretion, obtain advice/evaluation report from appropriate agencies, on the proposals received from the implementing agencies.
  • Panchayati Raj institutions would be involved by the implementing agencies in the matter of selection of site and overseeing the functioning of the hostels
Also Read :  Haryana Old Age / Widow / Disabled Pension Amount Increased

Important Links for Babu Jagjivan Ram Chhatrawas Yojana

Download Guidelines relating to the Scheme in pdf

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *